The Small Print
As a partner publisher, Summertime charge for our services. In exchange, our authors receive an exceptional royalty of up to 60% and generous discounts of up to 50% on book purchases for personal sale. Our publishing fees are transparent and we always make it clear when costs change.
Our Charging Policy
Our charging process begins with a provisional publication quote based on a realistic estimate of a book in terms of the number of words, the number of pages and likely complexity of design. Our provisional quote will state clearly what is and what is not included. Some fees (for editing, proofreading and design, for example) are variable and so the final bill may be more or less depending on the final size of a book and its design.
- Before we start work we will issue an invoice for 50% of our provisional quote.
- Prior to design stage we will issue a second invoice for a further 25% of our fees.
- Before publication we will issue a final invoice for the balance of our fees.
- All fees must be paid in full before publication.
Our Payment Terms and Conditions
- Our invoices are due on receipt.
- Our provisional quote is valid for one year.
- We reserve the right to revise our fees as a book evolves.
- If, through no fault of Summertime Publishing, a book is not published within two years of our first invoice, any fees paid will be forfeit to cover cancellation charges and work completed by us and/or commissioned on the author's behalf.
- If an author withdraws from their publishing agreement with us prior to the publication of their book, we reserve the right to retain all fees paid to cover cancellation charges and work completed by us and/or commissioned on the author's behalf.
- If, through no fault of Summertime Publishing, the book is not ready for sale by the agreed date, our full publishing fees remain payable.
Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Authors can either take our full publishing package or mix and match from a menu of selected services. We are not responsible for any service which an author commissions independently. This includes, but is not limited to, editing, proofreading and design.
- All the books we publish are offered for sale to a wide range of international and regional online retailers. However, no retailer is obliged to list or stock any book and if they do, they can vary the list price as they wish.
- Once an author has signed off the final files of their book any revisions they wish to make thereafter will incur a fee. We will provide a quote in advance.
Royalties and Direct Sales to Authors
- We pay a tiered royalty rate starting at 35% and rising to 60% on worldwide sales based on a combination of net receipts from retail sales and direct book sales to the author. The author then receives a royalty as a percentage of the net receipt for each retail sale. Net receipts means after the retailer's profit and printing costs are deducted. For example, if a book sells for £10, costs £3 to print and the retailer takes 40% of the sale price, then the net receipt is £3 (ie £10-£3-£4=£3).
- Likewise, where we sell books directly to a third party (bookshops, organisations, schools and companies, etc), as retailer, we deduct print costs and take a percentage of the selling price before royalties are apportioned.
- We sell books directly to authors at cost of print and delivery plus a tiered commission rate based on the number of books purchased. The author will be liable for any applicable import fees including but not limited to duty, custom clearance fees and VAT.
- We will pay for printing and shipping. However, depending on the delivery address, the author may be liable for any applicable import fees including but not limited to duty, custom clearance fees and VAT.